Impressed with the setting options of the Leica D-Lux 5 camera

I've started reading the manual of the Leica D-Lux 5 (yes, first I use it and play around with it, then later I read the manual to get the most out of it) and I have to say I am getting more and more impressed.

One concern I had before purchasing the Leica was whether I could apply exposure compensation and bracketing. The reviews often spoke about very good optics and superior firmware leading to well rendered photos, even having a "Leica" touch to the images it captures, which is some kind of signature of Leica cameras that just isn't present in "equivalent" models of other brands. However the talks that I sought on flexibility in settings just wasn't there. As I kept reviewing the technical specs though, plus the "history and connection" that I wrote about in my earlier blog (Got my Leica D-Lux 5, and my journey into photography; Feb. 19, 2012) The Leica D-Lux 5 became a clear winner and an easy choice.


Now from the manual, I am learning that there are so many setting choices, that the menus have so many levels, and the choices are profound and well thought through. The camera therefore become an invitation to careful and intentional photo taking, where you'd want to use a tripod and compose delicately, and select the right settings to capture light just the way you want. Of course its also good for the casual point-and-shoot-er, but it can do much more than that.

Here are two examples of the camera's expansive capabilities:
AWB or Auto White Balance. All digital cameras now have AWB plus the options to manually choose white balance settings. In the Leica D-Lux 5, there are 5 settings you can choose apart from Auto. Then there are 2 manual presets, where you have more options to fine tune the white balancing, and even have a digital reference white card. You even have the option to set the Kelvin temperature. Then you can even auto bracket the white balancing with 3 simultaneous shots in either the x or y axis (to tweak amber, blue, green. magenta).
There is a "Film mode" that lets you choose between 9 types of "digital films", which like traditional film, have their own image-capture characteristics. Then you can specify 2 of your own "film" presets where you designate the contrast, sharpness, saturation and noise reduction. then there is a "Multi-film mode" that lets you choose up to 3 types of film that will be used simultaneously.

There are a lot more features that I am just learning. The genius of the camera is that you can use it as simply as you want, or get into the technical detail, and this is one camera that offers so much photo setting options!



Grand Hyatt Erawan in Bangkok, lobby view at night; and the main hotel entrance after dark. Shots BEFORE I learned all the white balance customization. I like the moody color renditions though.






And here are scenes from the Bangkok International airport. Any new traveler to Thailand would surely take shots here, and well, since I was traveling with a new camera, I joined in and took photos of my own. These shots are without any post processing.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments