Davidoff Luxury Pens at Starhill Gallery in Kuala Lumpur; Caran d' Ache and Aesthetic Bay

It's been fascinating to study luxury pens, so on my trip to Kuala Lumpur this week I was looking forward to check what I could see at the Starhill Gallery at Bukit Bintang.





I was so amazed to go to the 2nd floor of Starhill Gallery at Kuala Lumpur. I've been right next door at the Westin Hotel so many times, and have been to Starhill Gallery on a fair number of occasions, but have mostly gone only to the Louis Vuitton shop on the first floor (before going across to Pavilion). So I was very pleasantly surprised to see all the luxury watch stores on the second floor, set in quite an exuberant fashion, like a well-adorned, lavish living room. Luxury mechanical timepieces are another deep interest for me, but I will reserve writing more on that for a future occasion.

The first shop I saw was Chopard. More recognized recently for their racing themed as well as classic timepieces and jewelry, I checked what pens they have. A few luxury pens were showcased, over SGD 500, so a bit more than what I was willing to part with, and since they're not really known for pens, I quickly moved on.



As I went to the second floor, I was excited to see all the watch stores, beginning with Richard Mille. Then there was a curious shop with elegant leather items and some expensive looking pens. As I took a closer look, they were Davidoff pens. Quite steep as well at over SGD 500, but they had a special 20% + 10% sale, so the price dropped to between SGD 500 and SGD 400. Hmm... worth considering.


The friendly gentleman managing the shop then invited me to the Zino Davidoff boutique where they had more pen models on display, together with the range of Zino Davidoff products. I was blown away! I didn't even know Davidoff had all those luxury goods! I actually have 3 of their fragrances - Davidoff Champion, Davidoff Cool Water, and Davidoff Cool Water Ice Fresh. But I was so pleased to see they had a full line of fine leather products, and yes - more luxury pens to choose from.





The models were alligator leather or lacquered with three or ten coatings, and metal finishes in palladium or gold. There were also some interesting colors, including a signature Davidoff red color. The feel and balance of the pens are good. The ballpen refill is an international size, so when empty you have the option of (gasp) replacing it with a Montegrappa or S.T. Dupont smooth writing one if you wanted to (available from Aesthetic Bay).






It was also nice to learn that the Davidoff boutique in Kuala Lumpur was the first in the world, set up in 2008. Aside from pens they had leather pen cases, and a collection of expensive leather bags, wallets, belts and accessories. it was great to study the workmanship of finely crafted products.


The mouth-watering 20+10% off sale lasts until the end of May 2012. So if you want to grab something from the shop, now is the time!



From the Davidoff Boutique I went over to the Audemars Piguet Le maitre l'horlogerie dupuis 1875 to cater to my passion for watches. I checked out what models and limited editions they had, and compared prices with Singapore. I noticed they had a number of thick books entitled Ethnic Jewelry for Indonesia, and I was told it was because AP sponsored this coffee table book, and the gentleman manning the boutique offered me a copy if it would please me, and to which I gladly obliged.

From there I went to the Sincere watch boutique and was again dazzled by the opulent setting and all the watch brands on display. After taking my fill and being satisfied with viewing my favorite brands, I saw this distinguished display of Caran D' Ache limited edition pens.








The prices on display were RM 31,400 and RM 32,400.



This looks like the same Ltd Ed pen at Aesthetic Bay. Caran d'Ache Limited Edition Edouard Jub Bamboo Silver 800 Fountain Pen
Note that if you compare price tags, both are without asking for shop discounts.






Talking about Aesthetic Bay again, their website is a thrill to see if you're in the market for luxury pens, or simply want to appreciate them. A definite site to visit, here is a sampling of images.







You could get lost for hours just gazing at pens. The very extensive range of brands and products in their catalogue, along with images, descriptions, prices and shipping options, make it a real possibility to order on-line.

Welcome to the world of luxury writing instruments!


The power of the written word.
That night the king could not sleep; so he ordered the book of the chronicles, the record of his reign, to be brought in and read to him. It was found recorded there that Mordecai had exposed Bigthana and Teresh, two of the king's officers who guarded the doorway, who had conspired to assassinate King Xerxes. "What honor and recognition has Mordecai received for this?" the king asked.
"Nothing has been done for him," his attendants answered. (Esther 6:1-3 NIV)

Esther is an amazing book that tells the story of God delivering the Jews through beautiful Queen Esther. God's name isn't mentioned even once, yet his hand moving to direct history is written all over it.

Check out my earlier post on the same subject of luxury pens.

Bye for now.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Singapore

Comments