Still learning to make the most of my Leica D-Lux 5

I've had my Leica D-Lux 5 for a couple of months now, ...


and I continue to enjoy using it, and am still discovering more ways to make the most of it.

I was at Nongsa Point Marina at Batam Indonesia over the weekend. And as is often the case now, I chose to bring my light and compact Leica instead of my hefty magnesium-body DSLR, with a heavy wide-to-strong-tele zoom lens, with bounce flash.

I was seated in front of the Marina on that Saturday evening, just appreciating the surroundings, but then noticed how the dusk colors were developing very nicely in front of me.


I quickly whipped out my Leica D-Lux 5 and started taking photos. The sunset colors just kept blossoming, until there was this brilliant display right before my eyes! A wonderful sight from God

This burst of colors lasted for only about 15 minutes before receding again, but it was enough time for me to take a variety of shots. The one above is my favorite. But I also got to play around with the My Color Mode settings.


It was the first time for me to use it. I thought it would be one of those features I wouldn't find the need for. But to my surprise, I enjoyed taking more photos and seeing the different effects. It was really like painting with the camera.



The photos here are without any post editing, so these are straight from the camera. You can see that you can create subtle effects, or wildly dramatic effects.



The My Color Mode has the following options: Elegant, Pure, Retro, Expressive, Custom, Miniature Effect, Film Grain, Pin Hole, Silhouette, Dynamic B&W, Dynamic Art, High Dynamic, and Monochrome. If the options seem to be too much - they aren't. It's a pleasure to see the different effects on the view screen as you easily shift through different modes.


Are the options of any practical use? The answer is a definite yes! You can blend images, create dramatic flare, and just make images more interesting. Here is an edited photo using a My Color Mode shot.


I'm really happy with the Leica D-Lux 5 camera. It's a powerful camera to have around on trips.






P.S. If you're wondering about the strange scene of people entering the water, this was taken of people having water baptism, in accordance with the example of Jesus.
Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. (Matthew 3:13 NIV)
Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come. (2 Corinthians 5:17 NASB)



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Singapore

Comments

  1. Love the size and leather casing. Oldskool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, I find the size just right for tucking inside my bag or bringing along comfortably while still having a pro feel. And the leather case adds a touch of class :)

      Delete

Post a Comment