Volkswagen Combis at Orchard Central, Singapore

Orchard Central was abuzz with Sunday shoppers this Singapore GSS. One crowd drawer was the display of Volkswagen Combis and other classic cars.


The displays were made even more interesting because the VW Combis were turned into mini shops for all kinds of knick knacks


.The vans were very nicely restored. Not strictly to original, as many were modernized with beautiful sound systems and performance upgrades, while keeping to signature original parts like lights, emblems and classic steering wheels.





The atmosphere here was how I imagine the 60's hippies would sell stuff and live on the road. People were happily browsing around, including my son trying on helmets! No serious shopping here as the items were not of extreme high value, so the mood was fun.





I have my own VW Combi story - I rode one with my neighbors when they had a family trip to picnic at Mount Makiling in Los BaƱos, south of Manila, Philippines. This was way back in the late 70's, and I was still quite young. Yes, one of my neighbors was a hippie holdout, complete with John Lennon style glasses and long hair tied in a pony tail. We had good food, including fish wrapped in aluminum foil and cooked by burying them in the sand and lighting a campfire on top. The roads up Mt. Makiling were still very good at that time, and the nature park was a fun place to visit.





Nice place for a trip down memory lane.

If you are fond of these classic cars, want a bit of nostalgia, then visit Orchard Central in Singapore.



Note: all pics were taken with the iPhone 4S.








- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments