The original Olympus Pen EE vintage film camera

A jewel of my small camera collection is this Olympus Pen EE vintage half frame film camera.


This was given to me by my Uncle Ephraim San Miguel, my mom's brother, and I immediately appreciated its value from Day 1.

The camera has an Olympus D. Zuiko 1:3.5, f=2.8 cm lens. This is a no-focus lens, but being a wide angle, everything from about 5 ft to infinity will be in reasonable focus. In the days of the Kodak instamatic camera, this was a high-end article! On the front of the lens you see the many photo eyes. This was the precursor of the CdS meter (I should show that on my Ricoh 500 GX sometime!). I find it amazing that this little camera doesn't use batteries, yet has automatic aperture control, and even an automatic shutter lock with a red indicator that pops up in the viewfinder when the scene is too dark to take a photo!


The camera can handle film speeds from ASA 10 to 200 (yes, it was ASA ratings before they became ISO). Low film speeds like ASA 25 used to be the epitome of fine grain film photography, so this camera really speaks "vintage"!


There is a flash synch socket and the shutter button allows the use of a cable release, marks of some professional capabilities in a small package. The aperture can also be set manually from 3.5 to 22 for flash photography.



Another amazing thing is that this is a half-frame camera, so a standard film roll of 36 shots became 72. Neat! The camera is in very good condition, including the grey vinyl body cover. A nice treasure because of its well thought of features.

I like the old cameras. They speak to me about engineering and design. They represent a romantic past when life was a little more slow-paced, when you composed photos one by one and not take shots by the dozen, when you had to develop films roll by roll, nicer when you did it yourself, and not have hundreds of photos at a time, taking photos of virtually every micro movement of people.


These cameras also show the history of how mechanical cameras developed into digital cameras. From film with silver particles, to digital memory. They speak of deliberate design, of research and development, and how year on year the cameras have changed to become better and better. And all the digital cameras of today with all their sophistication, attempt to capture what our human eyes can see in fullness of beauty! The old cameras, seen side by side the new digital cameras, are a testament of creation. How could the digital cameras ever have come about by random chance and processes, even over billions and billions of years! No, they were designed. Created. Just as our human eye was designed and created.

Vintage cameras nor digital cameras have no mobility, cannot use or create energy, cannot reproduce, cannot be subject to natural selection (which is different from evolution). These wonderful tools of photography, are far inferior to the design and machinery of the cells and organs of our body, individually and collectively!

I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
Wonderful are Your works,
And my soul knows it very well. (Psalm 139:14 NASB)


Read more about how operational science confirms creation and the Bible from Answers in Genesis. It is scientific and logical to believe in God's Word. We have a sound faith!

By the way, I took a number of photos above with my Leica D-Lux 5 and white tissue cloth over the flash, letting me take good close ups. I love the latest digital cameras for their functionality. But I enjoy the vintage cameras for the past they represent.
For both these reasons, I'd love to get my hands on a new Olympus OM-D sometime!

Have a vintage camera to sell? Send me a message!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Singapore

Comments

  1. it is a great experience to use the Spy camera in delhi it is nice to clicking the pictures from the camera .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment