A visit to the Mont Blanc boutique in Rustan's, Makati, the Philippines

Prices of Mont Blanc pens in the Philippines are very steep! This is the first time in recent months that I've compared the prices of Mont Blanc pens in the Philippines and outside, and I'm surprised at the difference.

The Meisterstück classic pen is about 40% higher, or about plus-SGD 180 over Singapore or Malaysia prices today.


The Limited Edition Carlo Collodi pen is about SGD 320 higher than the price in Malaysia and Singapore, about a 34% upcharge as of today.

This difference is a sizable pot. So if you plan to get a Mont Blanc and can buy outside the Philippines, go ahead and do so! Just make sure you are getting a good price. Actually, in my last trip to Shanghai, I remember their Duty Free shop also had good prices on Mont Blanc pens, so that's another venue if you have the chance to buy from there. Of course Singapore and Malaysia would be very good options as well. See my earlier article on this.

Talking about the Limited Edition pens, you can view out the Mont Blanc offerings on their iPad app Passions. Check my previous blog, with a link to download the app.

On the Carlo Collodi pen, I have to say that I wasn't attracted to it at first. It's a resin pen, a bit on the playful side in design character, and the story of Pinnochio which is the inspiration for the design, is not my most loved. But I learned from both Singapore DFS and Rustan's in the Philippines that this pen is being grabbed rather quickly. Apparently people like the intricate metal workings, and it is indeed a heavy and lavishly-built pen. Quite a good deal, I realize now, for the materials and workmanship involved.


I originally preferred the Thomas Mann Limited Edition pen for its stylish, elegant, art deco appeal. It seems however that perhaps only KLIA has this pen available. It's sold out in the the Singapore DFS and at Rustan's. Well, it is indeed a Limited Edition pen. This one is a lacquer pen, with inlaid metal in lines rather than the detailed metal work. Also, the champaign-gold color of the Carlo Collodi pen grew on me quite quickly.


Back to buying pens at Rustan's, one big advantage is that they can engrave your resin pen on the spot. This is something you cannot do in the Mont Blanc boutiques across Singapore, nor at KLIA or Pavilion. In these places, you'd need to go to the service center on a working day, or in Singapore leave your pen at a boutique and they'll get it done in a weeks time.

I had my Starwalker pen engraved at Rustan's. There was a very friendly and very knowledgeable fellow who manned the Richemont service center that includes Mont Blanc, by the name of Art who did the computerized engraving, then hand finished it with the silver stain. Very nice. The engraving was done at a back room right at the Mont Blanc boutique. He then showed me the Richemont service center at the 4th floor of Rustan's, and introduced me to Lincoln who sat in an inner room who does hand engraving on metals like golf club heads and gold stamping of leather. I suddenly remembered how as a teen I would have my leather Bibles gold stamped with my initials, right here at Rustan's, and how I would pass through the elevators that only few Rustan's patrons would use.


Rustan's is a fine place for shopping, and they are one of the original shops that carried the well known luxury brands. Through the years they have upheld an elegant shopping experience and beautiful store displays, and they continue to carry many of the big name brands.

Having passed the fourth floor and feeling good and reminiscent, I saw the small café, The Plaza. Not having had lunch yet, I took the opportunity to enjoy a ham pan de sal and a Coke Light. Yum! For someone who's been out of Manila for some time, this was a very special treat!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Philippines

Comments

  1. Hi. Can u help me to find the rollerball refill for my montblanc pen? Where is this store? Thank u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, where are you?! :) If you're in Makati, go to Rustan's along Ayala Avenue, which is connected to Ayala Glorieta. I you're in Ristan's Makati already, the Mont Blanc shop is at the ground floor of the department store (not the supermarket floor). Just ask the friendly sales ladies and they will direct you. They will have the different kinds of Mont Blanc refills.

      Delete

Post a Comment