The Enduring Beauty and Value of a Rolex

I recently had my Rolex GMT II serviced for the first time after nineteen years. Purchased in Singapore in 1997, I've used my Rolex extensively and brought it to very many locations including the United States, Argentina, France, Austria and Italy, all over Asia from ASEAN to Japan, Korea, Taiwan and China as well as Australia and even Antarctica, plus all over the Philippines! I've used it in diving, cycling, mountain climbing, boating and rappelling. Thinking back on all these, I can only thank God for his blessings and goodness -  “Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in him! Oh, fear the Lord, you his saints, for those who fear him have no lack! The young lions suffer want and hunger; but those who seek the Lord lack no good thing. Come, O children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the Lord. What man is there who desires life and loves many days, that he may see good? Keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking deceit. Turn away from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it. The eyes of the Lord are toward the righteous and his ears toward their cry. The face of the Lord is against those who do evil, to cut off the memory of them from the earth.” Psalms‬ ‭34:8-16‬ ‭ESV‬‬
 
About 2 months ago my Rolex stopped working, likely from parts wearing out. My lovely and supportive wife brought it to the Rolex Service Centre in Singapore, and they replaced the crown, the sapphire crystal that suffered a tiny chip, the bezel that was faded to black and pale red colors (this is pre-Cerachrom inserts) and the hands that lost luminescence. Price for the service was quoted at SGD 1,450, but it would work like new and the waterproofing to 100 meters would be guaranteed again for two years.
 
I was happy to receive back my watch - and now my 19-year old Rolex looks like new! The bezel is deep black and deep red-maroon again! The bracelet and case were polished so scratches were erased. The tiny chip on the sapphire crystal is gone. The hands are luminous again. I didn't have the dial replaced as I felt it wasn't necessary and that would have been another $700, but that would have made the hour markers luminous again. All in all, I am very pleased with the service provided by Rolex, and with my like-new watch. To me, this experience with the Service Centre has further increased and reinvigorated my appreciation for Rolex watches. It's an investment that travels geographies and travels time with you. And by God's grace, it's something we can pass on to beloved children.  

Reflections on buying a Rolex as a personal investment:
I bought my Rolex in Singapore nineteen years ago for about Philippine Pesos PhP 65,000. Using today's exchange rate, that is about Singapore Dollars SGD 2,000. Today the current model sells for about SGD 10,000 (not exact as I don't know the prices of the steel models). I had an unsolicited buyer of this watch a few years back at about SGD 5,000. So if you think about it, as a personal investment, you won't make big money but you will at least maintain or grow your initial purchase price. And enjoy using the watch in the meantime. So... not bad at all! 

Comments