Why I chose the MacBook, & Always Check Store Specs to Get The Best

Just received my new MacBook 12" with Retina display yesterday, and it's super cool! I got it from the Singapore Online store, and it's better than what's available in Harvey Norman or Nubox and other shops. Let me tell you why, and why I got the new MacBook. 
 
I was ready to buy the MacBook 12" from Harvey Norman and this was just after the IT show here in Singapore, but was just checking the  notebook features online. Then I realized, wait... this says the processor sped is 1.2GHz, while the shop says it's 1.1GHz. Whoa, this was interesting! And yes, the WWDC conference was just held this week with lots of cool product announcements,  but I couldn't wait as I planned to immediately use it. 

As I compared the specs further, I confirmed that the version in the Apple store was indeed better! The keyboard featured a 2nd generation butterfly key mechanism, which was important since this was one feature that some reviewers didn't like so much with the earlier MacBook (I've used it for a Keynote presentation and I'm fully done with it!). The Turbo Boost speed is also significantly higher at 3.0GHz vs 2.2GHz, and the graphics card is better. These came at a price, at a plus $100 on the tag, but I figured these were okay. For those who want a higher processor, there are now i5 and i7 versions available! This was a quick change for those looking for these higher options. I didn't need a lot of processing power since I don't work on heavy graphics and movie editing, so I opted for the cooler-running m3 chip. What these days is we should always compare store specs with the Apple Online Store specs. We may just get a better option that's already available! 

Plus, if you order online with Apple, you can request specific configurations not available at stores. Like a higher chip with the base 256 GB storage. Or higher storage with the base m3 chip. 

The fanless architecture and the very slim profile and 0.92 kg low weight are what made me decide for the MacBook. These made the notebook almost like an iPad, but with the fixed keyboard and strong design and computing power of a true notebook as compared to an IPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard. I still use my iPad Air and it fills certain needs, so the MacBook is an excellent complement for when I need more horsepower. Also, since I use Keynote heavily, the MacBook still offers more functionality specially when presenting as compared to the IPad Professional, although presenter notes are already an advantage in the latter as compared to the last iPad Air. 

Versus the MacBook Air, I preferred the retina screen of the MacBook, and Force Touch trackpad with haptic feedback. These are not present on the MacBook Air, and I like these features on the iPhone 7, so it became a natural choice to go for the MacBook. 

Versus the latest MacBook Pro options, my biggest concern was the extra weight and bulk, making it less portable. Of course versus earlier generation MacBooks and MacBook Pros, there is already a great improvement. But the amazingly thin and light MacBook are hard to resist for someone who wants to bring this on the go often. 

So that's it for now. I chose the MacBook 12" with Retina display and the latest 1.2GHz upgraded processor and m3 chip. 

All these incremental specs enhancements come through much specific design improvements and engineering power. Even how they describe utilizing every bit of practical free space to maximize the battery and provide astounding battery life. Or the improvement through the retina screen resolution with a larger aperture in each pixel. Or the provision of the i5 and i7 chip options. Or the upgrade to the 2nd generation butterfly keyboard mechanisms. No organic evolution here. These are all by human design and specific actions. So if we think about it, the ability of organic organisms to heal themselves and create and reproduce, are also all built-in by design. With all our modern technology, we still don't have computers that can upgrade their own architecture. No chance these Mac improvements can happen by blind "evolution" in an intelligence-less environment, even over supposed (assumed) billions of years. How refreshing it is to have designers, builders, engineers, marketers, all working together. 

If I've helped you make a decision on a new Mac purchase, let me know. If you've decided in a different direction, I'd also be curious to understand your assessment of pros and cons. 

Happy computing!! 

Comments