Latest iPhone Xs Max worth it?

I’ve been wondering for a while if the latest iPhones are still worth it, or if the newest generation of Android phones are getting up to par and at a level where they can be a suitable replacement. I’m sure many have wondered the same. 

The iPhone Xs Max. 

With the iPhone prices as much as US$200 to US$400 higher versus the comparable models, it’s sure getting to be even more of a premium. And the looks of the different phones are getting to be more similar. So why shell out the extra bucks? Let me share my personal views and experience. This is not a point by point specs and performance comparison, you can find lots of articles out there. Instead, these are my personal insights and hopefully this helps and resounds with more than a few out there. 

The Samsung 2018 A8

Background.
I’ve been an iPhone user since the iPhone 3G came out. The timing of the 3G was perfect as I was considering a handheld GPS to accompany me and my son on frequent overnight hiking trips. The GPS apps made that purchase unnecessary. 
Then I owned each iPhone model after that including the “s” variants up until the iPhone 6 Plus. From there I skipped the 6s Plus and went to the iPhone 7 Plus. Then skipped the 7s Plus and the 8 Plus and X went to the iPhone Xs Max. 

Immediate new iPhone experience
The new iPhone Xs Max is so fluid, intuitive and simple to use. When moving from a previous iPhone, the transfer is super easy. It’s more simple than just restoring from an back-up then changing your phone name. You can even scan a 3D image like a digital fingerprint that makes it even easier. Then your new phone is virtually a clone of your previous phone but with all the new features. Your existing contacts are all present of course, but even all your WiFi connections from hotels you’ve been to are active so your iPhone immediately goes live when reaching a hotel in a previous destination. Your Bluetooth connections are active. The Apps have maintain their login info, as if you didn’t change phones. Everything is so simple. And of course, you have the iOS functionalities and intuitive commands. All so simple. 

The Huawei Nuvo 3i 2018 model

My Samsung and Huawei experience
Then I got a Samsung A8 for an office phone. And a Huawei Nuvo 3i as a “free” (almost, paid SG$150) phone for my Philippine mobile plan. Okay, these are not the top-of-the line models, but it lets me experience the Android environment. 
First impressions are that the handsets are handsome. They look smart, well designed, and feel good on the palms. The Huawei in particular has grown much in popularity because of great designs and trendy marketing and the Leica tie-up with interesting picture apps, so I did want to have my personal assessment. 
The camera functions are good, though the iPhone is still my Go-To phone. Haven’t even tried out the new features of the iPhone Xs Max, but it’s just faster and easier to operate. Have to admit though that the Huawei has innovative and playful, even an artistically free hand (or shall I say scarily “deceptive”) with features like an “ideal selfie” where you can make your face automatically lighter, with a skinnier or stronger jawline, and wider or narrower eyes as you desire! I never even knew about this beforehand, and it scared me to think this was a secret feature and you really need to be wary of people photos where they always show their best look! 

The initial set-up is understandably more difficult as you’ll basically need to transfer your key contacts in some manual or roundabout way. Then each app needs to be downloaded and set-up. Each setting has to be tweaked. But tedious as that sounds, that’s the easy part. 
The struggle for me is that many times I just don’t understand the Android logic. Guess partly because I’m not a long time user, though I believe I can pick up easily. Nevertheless I’ve spent many a 20-minute pursuit trying to figure out how to do a certain function only to give up without being able to do what I wanted! That’s frustrating when I know I could do the same function in 1 minute on my iPhone! 
Samples:
(1) Setting up addresses at first just isn’t so intuitive. Depending on where you save your contacts, you may not even be able to save multiple details for your contacts! 
(2) When moving from a WiFi area to a non-WiFi area I get asked if I want to use my data plan. Why should it even ask that?! While new to the Huawei (previously I always used 2 personal iPhones)  and while driving and needing directions, it was such a struggle because I had inadvertently pressed “no” and could not even find out how to turn the data back on to enable my navigation app! So frustrating! 
(3) Some travel apps won’t work with the fingerprint scan on the Samsung, and there no way to back out of the fingerprint verification, so I just can’t use the app on the office phone and use my personal iPhone even when it’s for office travel. 
(4) For some reason typing on the iPhone is just much easier and faster. 
(5) The functionality of transparency between my iPhone, iPad and MacBook are lost with the Android phones. I can’t copy and paste from one device to another. I can’t use simple Airdrops, and also transferring between Bluetooth audio is faster and smoother between Apple devices then between Apple and Android devices. 
There are more, but this should give you the general picture of my difficulties. I’ve not even talked about the iTunes services and libraries. 

The iPhone Xs Max, the Huawei Nuvo 3i 2018 at almost the same screen size at a small fraction of the price, and the Samsung A8 2018 with a slightly smaller screen. 

The verdict
I’m happy the other devices are getting to catch up, a bit. I can use the Samsung and Huawei phones whereas previously I wouldn’t even use my office Nokia Windows phone for anything other than calls, messages and office photos. But for now Apple iPhones for me are still the high ground. Well worth the extra bucks if you can afford it. If needed, I’d go with the iPhone Xs (not Max) or the “base” level to save some. As a back-up phone, it’s more functional for me to use my iPhone 7 Plus.if I had to choose between these 2 alternatives, I’d go with the Huawei. It’s more fun and feels better to use, more functional with nifty features, and design-wise has an edge. 
In the end, it’s all up to you, your needs and preferences. Choose wisely and be a good steward over all that’s been granted to you. 

Comments