Will iPhone 12 Pro charge with a generic case & other questions

Will the iPhone 12 Pro charge with a MagSafe Charger and a low cost case? Here are answers to this and other curious questions. If you’re holding out on buying a case and MagSafe Charger until more new iPhone cases with MagSafe come out - this could answer your questions.

The Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Leather Case with MagSafe sells in Singapore for S$89. The Apple iPhone 12 Pro Max Clear Case with MagSafe sells for $75.

The Apple leather folio cases are not yet available. And I’ve used a folio case for some time already, as in my opinion they provide more complete protection, and I personally don’t like putting a screen cover. Also, the folio pockets come in handy for various cards or a bit of cash. So if you’re waiting for other case models to come out - can you use a low cost generic case and still get the MagSafe Charger to work? This would be a good way to protect your precious phone and not leave it bare in the meantime. 

The answer is Yes! Here is a nice synthetic leather case with the “Y2K" logo that I got for only S$12 at Suntec City Mall. Yes, Suntec City Mall. Typically you would get cases worth $20 to as much as $80 for this same case when purchased inside the mall. And this shows that it works with the MagSafe Charger. You do need however to be sure to align the phone to the charger and see that it’s charging, and I see that as the advantage of Apple and more specially designed cases.

Are the low-cost cases worth it? I’ve used a nice Goospery case with my iPhone XS Max that I purchased for S$10 and it has served me well! I used a S$80 leather case before that which eventually got worn. But I like my current S$12 synthetic leather case because with the work-from-home arrangement, I prepare and cook healthy food for every meal and I enter food calories on MyFitnessPal (which helped me to lose an amazing 15 kg!) so I continually hold my phone with moist hands, and I don’t have to worry a thing about possibly spoiling the case! Oh yes, I’ve used a Gucci iPhone case in the past, and you’ll see in my previous posts a lot of personal reviews and experiences with various expensive items and luxury goods, but for now I think a phone case that functions well and which you could change often because of a great price, is quite a good idea!

Will the MagSafe Charger work with my previous Apple 18W charger with USB-C adapter? No. I’ve tried it several times. The speed of charging is not worth a bother. You would expect that it would charge just a bit slower than when using the 20W charger, but the instructions on the MagSafe says that it needs a minimum of 20W.


What’s the difference between the previous 18W charger and the new 20W charger? Aside from their power output, they look almost exactly the same. The only external difference I could find is a small imprint indicating 20W. So if you have both the 18W and 20W chargers, here’s how to tell which charger is which. 

What’s the easiest way to transfer photos from my old iPhone to clear up space for my new iPhone 12, then to store them in a hard drive? The easiest way for me was to get a SanDisk iXpand(TM) Drive for Apple. It’s basically a USB thumb drive with a lightning plug on the other side. So you can insert it directly on your iPhone, let it load all the pictures, then with all the photos on the thumb drive, you can easily transfer it to an external hard drive. I got a 128 GB iXpand Drive I think a year or two ago.

There’s an iTunes app to work with your phone. 




How cool is the new iPhone 12 Pro Max? Well, you’ll need to read through other reviews for that! 
 
That’s it for me, for now. Take care, stay safe, stay blessed!
This is me after losing weight with more healthy eating during the Singapore Circuit Breakers!


Comments