My RIMOWA luggage

I finally bought my first RIMOWA luggage last weekend in Manila. 
I got it from Greenbelt 5, in Makati. There is a RIMOWA flagship store on the ground level, and there is also a lovely and elegant shop called ADORA on the 2nd level, with a wide selection of the RIMOWA luggages, a luxurious feel to the shop, and very helpful and pleasant sales staff. I bought my RIMOWA luggage from here. 

Since I travel a lot, on average 2 to 3 trips a month for the last two and a half years, I figured it would do me good to get a RIMOWA cabin bag. I know how convenient it is to use a 4-wheel bag with nice wheels and a strong body, as I had been using an Egon SitOn trolley for most of those 2 years, and it has served me very well. I particularly like being able to breezily roll along the narrow aisles of airlines when I travel on economy and have to move down the far end of the plane, by turning my bag on its side, and with my computer bag on top of it. (of course every time I travel on Business class, it's more convenient overall as I can sit almost immediately after entering the plane).






The design of the Rimowa however, just makes it look more interesting and functional. The luggage body sits lower and closer to the ground because of the recessed wheels like a car with fenders, and this draws a comparison to the lowered body of a racing car, making it more stable. The wheelbase and tread are also the widest among cabin bags, simply by design and wheel placement, further adding to stability when rolling.

True enough when using the RIMOWA cabin bag, it felt like changing from a Toyota Fortuner 3.0L 4WD D4D Diesel engine to a Fortuner 2.7L Gasoline engine. The former feels powerful but heavy, while the latter feels very light, fast, nimble and peppy. I probably should compare it with a German BMW, but then I don't have one so I can't make a comparison from experience, while I've had the two types of Fortuners at the same time. A simpler analogy is that it's like changing from leather shoes to running shoes - it feels lighter, and you feel you have more freedom.


I was planning to get the Salsa Deluxe, the new model with the more ergonomically shaped handle. The differences between the Salsa and Salsa deluxe are the rolling handle shape, the ability to position the rolling handle at any height, the rubber handle design, the bag carrier clip in front, and the dual velcro-type partitions on the inside. On price, there is a P6,000 (SGD 175) difference between the Salsa and the Salsa deluxe, which makes the former quite attractive. But the big decision factor for me is when I grip the handle of the Salsa deluxe firmly, there is a strong tendency to press the center button unintentionally, causing the handle to drop. This is somewhat bothersome when I am holding a computer bag on top of my rolling cabin bag, and this actually happens with my Egon SitOn trolley, so I am keen on this feature.



The other differences are nice to have, but not important and I can easily live without. Versus the Salsa Air, this one has a single bar leading to the rolling handle, which will lead to swinging of a computer bag when placed on top, so I don't like this.



I'm also very pleased with the new streamlined locks on the most recent Salsa and Salsa deluxe models. They look very sleek and are very easy to operate.

Here's an interesting tidbit. If you're in the market for a Rimowa and get to pass through the Philippines, grab it there!! The price is much better than in Singapore, Thailand or Malaysia! And you get the same 5-year global warranty on parts and service.

Rimowa also has interesting color selections. Depending on the model, the colors can be very classy and restrained, or quite bold and playful yet dignified.

In total, I'm truly pleased with my RIMOWA purchase. Thank God! My only sort of regret is that I wish I had bought one earlier!










PS:It seems I am getting more German engineered products lately, or been to German-influenced sites. The United Buddy Bears that were created in Germany. The Leica D-Lux 5 camera I'm enjoying using. I was in Taicang, China last seek where many German companies have established offices. And now this Rimowa luggage. Not intentional, but they all just came together at the same time. I was actually also interested in getting a Lange Saxonia Annual Calendar some time ago, but I just couldn't take the small case diameter. Maybe later when they redesign??

What are some other good German products out there?


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

  1. The Rimowa Salsa is on sale at Isetan in Singapore, with limited stocks available. This is a great buy! Also, a new model Salsa is out. Check my blog at http://jasmreflections.blogspot.sg/2012/10/rare-rimowa-sale-again-new-salsa-model.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. True. The Rimowa luggage bags are a really good investment. I used my bag on my most recent trip to Palawan, to a beach resort, and I'm glad I brought them since they make traveling through airports much easier. Would be great to get my hands on a Hybrid Rimowa Salsa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment