The Rimowa Bolero; plus Rimowa and BMW stories from my first Germany Trip

Frequent travellers who know Rimowa luggage bags and have the means, value them and spend on them. It's not just about branding or aesthetic beauty. Nor is it about joining the bandwagon of celebrity figures that tout their Rimowas. This is a sound investment into traveling well, for superior design and lasting performance in a travel bag, backed up by a working 5-year international warranty.
 
The Rimowa Bolero cabin 4-wheeler, sold at the Lufthansa Duty Free Shop at the Frankfurt airport in Germany along with an extensive range of other Rimowa models.

I recently got a Rimowa Bolero in shiny Night Blue colour and it looks really sleek. I got it from the Frankfurt airport in Germany. There is a Lufthansa Duty Free store just behind the Business Class check-in counters that sells a number of interesting, choice items, including many
Rimowa models, both carry-on cabin bags and check-in bags. Knowing RIMOWA is a German brand, I checked out the models and prices. What I saw mildly shocked me - the prices were about half the prices in Singapore, and about 40% lower than Manila prices!


 
Rimowa bags are expensive, no qualms about it. The Rimowa Salsa Hybrid or Rimowa Bolero in Singapore is about SGD 1,200+, in Manila it is P37,000 (2017 price is now P38,900 to P39,900 for the Bolero & Salsa De Luxe Hybrid cabin bag). I got mine from the Frankfurt airport in Germany at Euro 439! Extremely good value! So good you might be tempted to question whether it is an original! But you know, this is Germany, and at the airport! You won't find any imitation products here! Plus as a Rimowa owner and blogger, I know Rimowa bags. And one look at the bags in Germany, I was immediately thinking of how to buy one (or two!!).

Curious to know how good the Rimowa bags are and whether they are worth their hefty price? Check out my previous blogs:

My Rimowa Luggage

Rimowa Salsa Cabin Luggage - A pleasure to use

The challenge for me was how to buy a cabin bag when I was already toting a Rimowa Salsa plus a Tumi Beacon Hill Revere Leather Brief Pack, and I had already checked in!. The Lufthansa lady suggested I check in the new bag. So I quickly went back to the Business Class counters to ask if I could do so, and they very kindly agreed. When I got back to the Lufthansa store, I was amused to find another Asian, a lady, trying to squeeze her stuff into a newly purchased Rimowa Salsa Air Cabin bag! I smiled and said "it's a really good price, right?". To which she readily agreed. Yes, it's a price not to be missed if you're passing Frankfurt! New best place to buy a Rimowa!

 
The Rimowa Bolero in shiny Night Blue is co-branded with a very subdued Lufthansa logo on the rubber handle and an emblem on the upper right front pocket. It is tastefully done so it is not a negative. In fact for me it's a nice marker that the bag was purchased in Germany. The metal hardware on the handles signify this is a premium model, and of course the pockets in front are one of the latest innovations from Rimowa. The metallic blue colour reminds me of my current-model BMW 3 Series (F30 body) where metallic blues are special colors for BMWs. I've also said in my previous blog that shifting from a 4-wheel bag of another brand to a Rimowa 4-wheeler is like changing from a regular car to a BMW. It's simply a pleasure to use!

 
The front pocket "system " of the Bolero consists of three zippered pockets for easy access while in the waiting lounge and to organise your small item.The main compartment can hold a 15" notebook computer and can be locked. A combination lock is provided with the bag.

The interior of the Night Blue Bolero is a formal black with the Rimowa imprints.Quite dashing and I like it. It's a change from the gray interior of my Rimowa Salsa. This Bolero at the Lufthansa shop is based on the earlier Salsa model with the same handle and interior, as compared to the newer edition. To see the differences between the earlier and new version Salsa and Bolero interior and handle, check this blog post.

A new model Rimowa Salsa was available from the Lufthansa shop, but I decided I wanted the front pockets on the Bolero and that it offered me more enhanced versatility than the Salsa with the new interior partitions and curved rolling handle that can lock at any height. I like using the interior of my current Salsa, and the Bolero now offers two small zippered interior pockets and Rimowa stuff sacks sized just right for the bag, which alone are nice upgrades.

 
As with all superior and well designed German products, you get a very nice manual with the Rimowa that explains their 100+ year history and how this attests to the strengths of the products, and the brochures will validate and make you even more happy with your choice to purchase a Rimowa luggage bag.


I had a really wonderful trip to Germany and hope to post some photos soon. When entering through Frankfurt, you'll notice the very long distance from the point from where you pick up your checked in luggage to your pick-up point or transportation area. Thank God I have bags with good wheels and especially my Rimowa Salsa. But with no luggage trolleys available, you will really suffer if you don't have good bags. No wonder the Rimowa bags have superior rolling capability!

Buying a new Rimowa bag as I left Germany was a pleasant surprise. I hope to purchase a large check-in Rimowa bag in the future, again at half the price, a sound travellers investment.

Bye for now. Happy travels!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

P.S. Two curiosities.

In the Frankfurt airport, being fetched by a Mercedes Benz arranged transport, it seemed that 80% of the cars were either a BMW, a Mercedes or an Audi! Yes, 4 out of 5! On the road to my destination, it felt like about 50% of the cars were one of these three German cars. Nice to see.

Back in the Singapore airport after the Lufthansa flight from Germany and while watching the luggage conveyor belt, it seemed like fully half or more of the checked in luggage were Rimowa bags! This was the highest percentage of checked in Rimowa bags I've ever seen for any flight or carrier.

Quite amusing tidbits. "Only for Germany".

Take care!


Comments